The Bachchor Heidelberg is a choir with one of the longest traditions in Germany. It was established in 1885 by Philipp Wolfrum, Director of Music at the University of Heidelberg. Philipp Wolfrum introduced the choir to the significant works of baroque and romantic literature of that time, in order to “… foster serious, especially sacred, music…”.
Christian Kabitz became the fourth conductor in the 130-year history of the Bachchor in 1987. He conducts the Bachchor concerts performed together with the Philharmonisches Orchester Heidelberg.
The choir went on its first major concert tour to Sicily in 1987. In 1991, the Bachchor Heidelberg was a guest at the Israel Festival and gave three cantata concerts. In 1999, the choir visited the Ukraine, and in 2005 gave a guest performance in Shanghai. Regular recordings for the Stuttgart broadcasting corporation have made the choir and its conductor known beyond the realms of Heidelberg.
Click here, if you want to join us.
The choir committee is currently made up of the following members:
- Susanne Wagenmann, Chairwoman
- Kirsten Becker, Deputy Chairwoman
- Christoph Kerschgens, Deputy Chairman
- Christian Kabitz, Conductor
- Sigrid Neumann, Treasurer
- Friederike Tomi, Membership secretary
- Kerstin Lutzer, Concert logistics
- Martin Mayer, Minute keeper
- Jürgen Thölke, Social media